Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dark Phoenix


Dark Phoenix (from The X-Men) by Miracole Burns
Photographed by BGZ Studios
"This past few months, I decided to cross the boundaries that I would normally stay in and do something just a tad dangerous.  I have been wanting to shoot an X-Men Dark Phoenix cosplay for quite some time and the majority of the ideas made me say “meh” to myself.  All it takes is a quick second to look on over to Deviantart and find photoshopped pictures of some really hideous fake fire on a Phoenix costume.. or better yet, a background of fire with a cut-out of her standing in fire pretending to be mean.  None of it really excited me and photo manipulation is not really my thing.  I love experimenting with it and have had some neat results with it.. but I like being minimalistic with the shop."

BGZ Studios have pushed cosplay to new ends. Taking Miracole nd turning her into a Dark Phoenix by setting her on fire. And not just in Photoshop. BGZ Studios had been to considerable lengths in order to set up the stunt, to no avail. But then luck struck. And then struck out again. He writes:
I then got a phone call from on of my video guys.  He brought up that he knew the fire effects team that worked on Walking Dead TV series here in Atlanta and actually gave me the guys number.  Called him up, spoke for many hours and how we could make a fire stunt happen which ended up with me hiring him and his team.  It was an amazing relief and a great feeling seeing the idea move forward… until I got a phone call from the Warehouse property manager (where we were going to shoot at).
“Sure, you can do pyro stunts in the warehouse, as long as you front up $100,000 for liabilities and insurance”


No comments:

Post a Comment